13 Letters: Hip Hopology

Posted by Jonny Boy | 10:36 PM | 0 comments »

http://www.rapzilla.com/rz/images/stories/13letters_cd_150.jpg

Yes, I am pleased to announce that my next post about Parachute is nearing its completion.

Due to unprecedented expectation, nearing fervor, and to ensure that post-publication chaos does not ensue, I am asking, even pleading, for many of my readers to follow these important instructions. Please read carefully!

Could all those living at odd numbered houses in the northern part of Saskatchewan only visit this blog in the hours of midnight to three AM (local time) for the coming two weeks. This should make all the difference in the world to those wanting to use the Internet in this coming period (Just in case anyone is curious, market research has affirmed that the northern part of Saskatchewan is a prime target area for this blog, and will be viewed by the locals as culturally savvy). We thank you for your assistance.

However, this reality is for another day!

To whet your appetite and as an interlude to this significant moment, let me inform you of something that I am genuinely excited about (I am now being sincere, my humor quota has now be filled. As I read this out to my wife, I was having a good old chortle, she, on the other hand, did not find this humorous at all... She appreciates your prayers).

Now to the point of my post...

Released recently by Reach Records is an album by a collaboration of Christian Hip-Hop artists titled 13 Letters. I may be Vanilla Ice, but I am want to listen to something with a block busting beat. Not only does this album have baseline with intensity (thanks Arrested Development), but the lyrics, I say the lyrics, rock my house, my street, my world.

Am I sounding young, hip, hype and out dude? Its a rhetorical question, tiger, settle down.. No need to be rude!

Let me lose the persona and explain what I mean.

13 Letters is a lyrical presentation of the 13 Pauline Epistles. After listening to this album, I can honestly say that I was stoked... blessed... edified with the words and message of each track. I would have to say that this is lyrical theology at its best.

Too often in Christian circles we see another one biting the dust, becoming another relic in the pursuit of style without substance, where the challenge of synthesizing content and context is miserably met, with either one or the other lost in translation (to quote a movie).

In the music scene, more often than not, it is the lyrics that are missing, and just like overcooked broccoli (sorry Mum), once this has transpired, all the goodness is gone, and all you have left is a mushy reminder of what could have been! This collaboration of Hip Hop artists, with a definitive reformed bent, has satisfied all the above criteria that not only should bless your gangsta soul, but should also exemplify what can be done and should be done for the sanctification of our souls, and the worship and glory of our Creator God.

My favourite tracks are on the Book of Romans and the Letter to the Philippians. I had to smile as Shai Linne in his track titled Gospel Music (on the Book of Romans) encourages his listeners to go deeper into a commentary, and who does he mention? Only John MacArthur, Leon Morris, James Boice, and R. C. Sproul. Couldn't you just imagine John MacArthur returning the respect. One can only chuckle as one pictures "the mac" MacArthur getting down with the beat... Homie!

You should listen to a portion of each track here. You may find more if you google... or youtube it

http://www.amazon.com/13-Letters-116-Clique/dp/B000MV83C4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1234423308&sr=8-1

However, the fun does not stop here posse.

Coming very soon is a multi media study on the 13 Letters. What this will entail is a live performance of each track, a 30 minute study on each of the books, interviews with the artist, and a mini-series to put the themes of the 13 Letters in a real-world setting. Talk about finishing the deal.

I, I mean we, have a 15 year old son who doesn't get down with the DC Talk anymore. He is a fan of Hip-Hop and already has the album, therefore, I am very excited to see this collaboration take it to the next level. This is exactly what my offspring's generation need to be exposed to, and something that I so desperately desire for my son... mentors who they look up to who have been and continue to be absolutely shattered by the Word of God, who are radically and faithfully seeking to "go deep" in God's written revelation, thereby being transformed for the purpose of replication by application through illumination (lay down a track why don't I).

I can only encourage you to bring "freedom in Christ" to your wallet and go buy the album and the curriculum. Hearing an overview of the message of each book will not only be music to your ears, but food for your soul, which will encourage you to go all biblical, worshiping your Creator in the days of your youth, and to reference the first line in Shai Linne's track... the result will be Soli Deo Gloria!

This album is rope-a-dope-dude!

For more about the album, curriculum, etc, see...

http://www.reachlife.org/

One can only pray that this will be the beginning of a number of albums from these made righteous rappers. My prayer is that this album will be a catalyst for further reflections, resulting in music-based material that goes deep into the Word of God, capturing a generations heart... beat

Until next time...

0 comments