Parachute Part One

Posted by Jonny Boy | 3:52 AM | 0 comments »

If you have read my recent ramblings, you would probably have been expecting something on Parachute, and you may be wondering where the blue blazers this is, after all, it has been some two weeks since the chute has fallen.

Fret no more dear reader, I am here to meet your needs!

I don't know if you are willing to go through the rigmarole of packing up your family and car (assuming you have one... loser... just joshing with ya), making sure you have the necessary tent, sleeping bag, and stepping out gear (you know what I mean), while slumming it with one or two extra friends, whilst entering the vortex of a "Back to the Future" scene for us more mature attendees. As I have rolled over the # 30 apex in recent years, each year that I attend Parachute, as I have watched the little grunts mill around the village, seeking to have their 15 seconds of attention, come redemption, I begin to feel more and more aged.

Sucking it up, each of the recent number of years, subsequent to our return from Egypt, I mean Adelaide, Australia, in recognition that we are caught in the web of the "superstar grunt" years, vicariously (we have a teenage son), we do the damage and head north. This year our son, Jordan be his name, who turned 15 on the Wednesday after the Chute, stayed on site, while, those more mature (my wife and I) and immature (our other two younger sons) reclined in a more genteel setting, with the Outlaws (Inlaws for those perplexed), in the Tron of all places!

Before I get into some reflections, at the outset, consider... what do you think about the Parachute experiment?

The reason I ask is that this Festival tends to illicit some pretty strong opinions in the Christian fraternity. Often these opinions seemed to be grounded more in what Parachute could be, than in what it actually is. Their guilt being more in the opportunities that they miss, more than what actually takes places. To be fair, I empathize with such a position, as I do believe that given the resources, the number of people who attend, with the opportunity to truly impact this nation for Christ, Parachute could do more than they are already doing.

Nevertheless, I am genuinely thankful for Parachute. Even though I don't necessarily agree with all of their positions, as outworked in what takes place with some things at the Festival, I think I get their context and what they are trying to achieve (mistakenly or not). As an old man, who is becoming an old man, I am stoked that my son can see National/ International acts up close and personal, seeing and hearing their witness for Christ (modeling), be in a context with the majority of ministries from NZ, and some from around the world who are presenting a cultural movment for my son to connect and invest his life in, while also enjoying some male tomfoolery and bonding time. Let me not forget, seeing Jordan walking around in the village with a wrestler's mask on... that was a definite highlight (I can't bring myself to say "not", maybe Tui will do)!!!

Now that we are all feeling warm and fuzzy, let's have a group hug... Na... send in the hounds.

Let me now be a little more critical if I may. After all, what is love if truth is absent!

I do wonder if Parachute has somewhat of an identity crisis. Maybe this comes from trying to cover so many bases, that in the end, these begin to conflict with one another. I mean if you want to keep getting bigger and bigger, with numbers being paramount, you are going to be faced with some pivotal decisions, and the driver at the wheel may not be as discerning as he should. What wins out in the end, a philosophy of ministry based on truth, or a philosophy of money based on profit? This is no perfect world, and while numbers are important, I wonder if the temptation to grow and be successful.. period, is something that Parachute needs to more diligently consider, in light of some decisions that they have made.

Let me give what I believe is an example to exemplify this reality...

Now I don't know your understanding of the Christian Faith, but there was quite a significant event called the Reformation before our time. At its core, it was a protest (ant) to signal that there was a returning movement, a movement that was not going to be bound by the traditions of the time, but was returning to be bound by the Word of God as the basis for one's faith and practice. If such was their intention, then when Scripture says that The Just Shall Live by Faith (I believe that was the text that impacted young Luther), the mighty men of renown took this and other Scriptures seriously, calling a spade a spade, and nailing their stake of the Cross on a door at Wittenberg, these men affirmed the clear teachings of Scripture that man is justified by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone.

Now while the Reformation may be a problem for those who just want everyone to play nicely in the sandpit of religious unity, the whole group hug theology is historically and practically untenable.

Therefore, when Parachute decided to include a Catholic Mass as part of the shenanigans over the weekend (and past Festivals), they obviously grasped something the Reformers did not. Let me be clear, I am in no way looking to be offensive, and I am inclined to believe that there are some in the Catholic church who are "in Christ." However, this debate can not be based on an individual basis, it can only be answered by honestly reflecting on how one is justified in Catholic Dogma, and if this is different to the Protestant position, there is a scriptural problem (no presuppositions here).

When all is said and done, truth is no man's debtor!!!

For those who might like some illumination, see the article from the following link

http://www.carm.org/catholic/rc_justification.htm

For those who might like some informing on the Catholic Mass, you know the drill

http://www.carm.org/catholic/mass.htm

It's a shame what those figures in church history decided to do, makes it so difficult to justify such a decision!

If Paul is correct in Galatians that there is only 1, numero uno Gospel, and that if there is any other "gospel" that is in anyway inconsistent with the Gospel that was passed onto Paul, and the Gospel that Paul preached, whether this was by man, spirit, or even Paul himself, this was an accursed gospel... false... wrong... demonic (See Galatians 1:6-24)!

In light of this Parachute, to quote a phrase, what the Gehenna is going on?

While I have shown myself to be cynical enough to ponder whether or not the basis for such a decision was to widen the base of those who might attend, given that this event has an undeniable evangelical existence... Houston, we have a problem.

Now the second example is from a different category. It is not what Parachute is doing, it is what they should be doing. If Parachute would take this advice (I am sure I am not alone in thinking this), not only would this bring more glory to God, edify the righteous, but it would also be pragmatically effective (what more could you want). Now that I have been blogging for some weeks, I am confident that I now have the attention of the Parachute hierarchy who are no doubt following my writing.

"Dear Parachute,

If you are wanting to encourage more Christians to attend and widen the base, there are many Christians, particularly those who are past their krunk-rock days, who are not that excited about watching the next hero krumping." (if you have no idea what I mean, reader, use your noodle, google)

"Yes! Parachute! You do a great job of bringing some of the best Christian international acts to our shores, and we are gratefully blessed (although steady on with the price hikes). May I say that this year was no exception (in fact, I was stoked with the line-up, more on that at a later date), but what about having this same intentional philosophy and commitment to the conference component of each Festival... Now there's an idea!"

"Thanks for Listening... By the Way, I Come Cheap (and a little nasty)"

Now, given Parachute's pulling power, they are in a prime position to bring some of the best Bible preachers, teachers, apologists, evangelists, etc, in the world. Now I know Parachute are want to bring in their theological/ praxilogical buddies, but this philosophy needs a serious overhaul (I am sorry "choice" Joyce Meyers does not fit the bill IMO).

Just imagine this lineup (Note, this lineup is neither exhaustive, inspired, nor inerrant).

Mark Driscoll or John Piper or C. J. Mahaney - All of these guys are continuationists, which would fit the Parachute bill, but are meat packers. One of these guys could be the main speaker at Main Stage (They could even go for Louie Giglio, he spoke at Hillsong for Heaven's sake).

D A Carson
or Tim Keller - These could complete a Book/ Topical Study over 2 or 3 days. Both minister in different theological contexts, and are not ideologues.

William Lane Craig
or J. P. Moreland (another continuationist) or Greg Koukl or some other apologetics guy, there are plenty of quality individuals around, just look at the Philosophy departments on US campus' (Keller would be great here too) - Evangelicals Everywhere.

Let me be fair, a positive sign was the addition of someone like John Stonestreet from Summit Ministries (No, I didn't hear him, but the ministry is pretty good from what I know), but Parachute has such an opportunity to put Scriptures like 2 Tim 3:16,17 into practice. Please give us some meat with that candy. We have our knife and fork at the ready!

As one naval-gazes about the potential here, Parachute has the opportunity to practice what is so lacking in the church in New Zealand - to hold both the more creative ways of worshipping God with the more didactic instructional ways in both hands, not viewing these as somehow adversarial, but as friends.

It is sad that, very often, you have to go to two different churches, from two different theological traditions to experience both relevant, powerful music and the arts, which is combined with an extended time (45 mins plus please) of expository preaching from God's Word. I am not using hyperbole when I state that it is tragic that in my sphere of knowledge, I have to look at ministries like Mars Hill, Seattle, and Redeemer, NY (although Keller preaches for a shorter time), to see what could be exemplified by Parachute to the churches of New Zealand, which so desperately needs to see this in action.

This could begin such a groundswell, that, who knows where this could lead. Look, now you have gotten me excited and I'm beginning to sound... you finish the sentence!

Time is money and I am still broke, therefore, I have taken enough of your time, and I will digress more next time.

When... wait for it... ahhhh, you'll have to wait and see (suspense-like, just like TV)

Until Next Time...

0 comments