Rafa's Moment of True Greatness!

Posted by Jonny Boy | 6:40 PM | 0 comments »

I am a sports guy, plain and simple.

Doesn't matter if it is those sports that have been kindly passed on by our British forebears, such as Rugby, Cricket, or Soccer (Football), or those sports that have their nexus in a North American context, such as American Football, Baseball, Basketball, or Ice Hockey, when there is a sporting battle going on, count me in!

Many moons ago I did my tour of duty on the rugby, soccer, and cricket fields of dreams...memories... special!!! I won't bore you with any "boys own" stories (either real or imagined).

Some other early sporting memories that remain part of my consciousness are of Chris Lewis taking on the mac-daddy mouth John McEnroe in the final at Wimbledon, which McEnroe would go on to win. Another is shaking the #10 Springbok maestro's hand, Naas Botha, as a young 5/6 year old at one of their training sessions in Rotorua on the infamous 1981 Springbok Tour of New Zealand, which tore at the fabric of the conscience of our nation (Should they have toured? Good question!)

This might be a good time to think about what a Gospel-centred, God-glorifying perspective looks like in a given sporting context. It seems that for red-blooded, trying to be Gospel-centered males, the sporting arena is an integrative force-field that would have even befuddled Yoda. The dichotomy that exists can be exemplified by the saying, "what happens on the field stays on the field," as if the sporting arena is the one cultural context where for an individual, any rules are acceptable, and therefore, applicable, and because of this, we fail to consider what is appropriate as we have fenced off such considerations from reality.

For the Christian who seeks to integrate all of his life from this Gospel-centred foundation, this perspective is further heightened. This frame of reference easily morphs into what us fans find gratifying in a game, with much of our fruit proving to be spoiled on delivery in front of our moving picture as we assail player, coach and referee alike, demanding results not excuses, no matter what. After all, as we say, its the scoreboard that counts (or does it ultimately!)

I am reminded of what was asked of Michael "Iceman" Jones, the freak of an open-come blindside Flanker for the mighty men in black, the All Blacks, when he was asked how he integrated opening a can on the opposition with his Christian Faith. With tongue slightly in cheek, he would say, quoting the Sacred Text, "it is better to give than receive" We will let that eisegesis slide, but Jones was one sporting icon who considered Christ likeness character to be consistent with being a rugby warrior, thereby achieving integration.

If you find what I am writing to be of the Greek variety to you conceptually, um... nice weather were having... arr... commiserations, we all have crosses to bear!

Nevertheless, we must press on.

In regard to how we can redeem our sporting endeavours, I am reminded of some things that C. J. Mahaney has said to his son in regards to sports for the glory of God.

First, when watching sport on TV (he spoke in a context with his son), Mahaney would seek to focus on and emphasize those acts/ moments/ actions that reflected a Christ-centered perspective, which pretty much means that these were going to be counter-cultural to what is generally focused on. Practically, this means that while the media and public attention will focus on individuals like Tyrell "T.O." Owens, who encourage such attention, Mahaney will seek to not only point out any aberrant behaviour to his son, Chad, but will seek to highlight those individuals who exemplify Christ in sports. Wisdom defined is skillful living!

Secondly, when Chad would play his sport, Soccer, Mahaney would seek to encourage and validate those things that honour Christ, such as not responding when provoked, or supporting/ encouraging a weaker player, as opposed to focusing on those actions that may naturally bring more rewards, such as scoring goals, which can very easily be an opportunity to glorify self.

However, while these are helpful reflections (I hope), the motivation for this piece, and what has pricked my thinking in this area, is what I have observed recently with Rafael Nadal.

Recently, I have seen God's common grace in action through this Tennis Matador. I don't know about you, but I have been sold on the recent Nadal v Fededer battles on centre-courts worldwide. As a general comment, it is so edifying to see two such tough opponents carry themselves with such honour.

However, what has really struck me in recent days is what transpired in the awards ceremony after the final of the Australian Open. I was still feeling slightly euphoric watching our Black Caps Cricket team beat those scoundrel Aussies (Brad Haddin you winner TV Dinner) in One-Day Cricket an hour or so earlier, and the fact that Nadal was able to survive the longest match in Aussie Open history vs "do you hear the drums Fernando" Verdasco, with a day's less rest, while still coming out as the victor made me rather "fan" satisfied.

While the match is memorable, what I was struck with was the genuine empathy with which Nadal showed to his broken opponent, who was falling apart before his and the world's very eyes. As Fededer was weeping from another missed opportunity, Nadal stood with his friend, speaking the truth in love, and standing literally, as Nadal put his arm around Roger, thereby, putting aside the glory that his victory had given, for the benefit of a fallen friend and hero. Subsequently, Nadal has admitted that he could not celebrate in light of how upset Roger was and how he had taken the defeat.

After all, what should one do when a brother weeps?

This was further emphasized in the ceremony as Nadal spoke in his improving English, no (If you have heard him speak, you know why I have added "no"), as he sought to comfort Fededer with encouraging words about him being a champion player who would reach the fourteen Grand Slams that Roger so yearns to reach. However, when one realises that to reach this mark, it will more than likely be through "Rafa" himself, one realises that the humility and empathy that Nadal displayed truly defined him as a champion worth focusing on (He further underscored this in a post-match press conference where he affirmed that he genuinely hoped Roger reached fifteen or sixteen grand slams). In the words of the title of one of Mahaney's books, Nadal showed Humility: True Greatness.

I confess that the sporting arena is one that I find it easy to be entirely results focused, which really means that I have found it challenging to maintain a Christ-centered perspective. Whether it was on the field, where I was drunk with the competitive streak, or post-competitive playing days, where, I admit, when I see those reprobate Springboks or Wallabies getting their proverbials handed to them in no uncertain terms, I am prone to especially enjoy it and find any and all means acceptable.

After all, it isn't tiddlywinks (thanks Tana), which is why I need to semper reformanda and seriously reckon how to redeem the sporting pursuit for not only myself, but in light of my three sons, the children God has given me to steward for His glory.

Therefore, to help in this pursuit, sometime soon, I am going to purchase something to help in making this a reality. Crossway has published a book, authored by Stephen Altrogge, titled, Game Day for the Glory of God.

Here's what C.J. Mahaney says in his foreword (Thanks to the Crossway Blog for this)

This is the book I needed way back when.

I grew up passionate about sports. I played baseball, basketball, and football, and I swam competitively. And when I
wasn’t playing sports, I was watching sports. Sadly, I think it was all a waste.

Yep, all of it. I wasted my sports because I didn’t play for the glory of God. I played for the glory of C. J. Like I said, I wish I’d had this book years ago. (Being a Christian would have helped as well!)

I wasted years of playing sports. But it can be different for you. And it will be, if you will read and apply the contents of this unique book. My friend Stephen Altrogge has given us a book we desperately need, on a topic rarely addressed. He applies the gospel not just to our behavior, but to our hearts. He is theologically informed, reminding us that sports are gifts from God and potential means to grow in godliness. Whether it’s a real sport like basketball, soccer, or golf or a bogus sport like Frisbee golf, Stephen wants us to glorify God when we play. (And if you think Frisbee golf is actually a sport, we need to talk.)

So whether you are an athlete (like me), a wannabe (like my friends), a parent, a coach, or simply a fan, Game Day for the Glory of God will provide you with a biblical perspective on sports. In the light of the gospel, you will see game day—and yes, even practice—as a moment of eternal significance, whether you win or lose.

http://crosstrainingpublishing.com/catalog/images/Game%20Day%20small.jpg

Go Buy It, Read it, and let God redeem your sporting fix, whether it be vicariously through the TV or up close and personal!

Remember Christ's warrant of redemption on your life has no limit of jurisdiction!

Until Next Time...

0 comments